Supreme Queens (Updated February 2023)
Here is a summary of recently the various appearances in Supreme Queens,
1. Preliminary Conference Orders will be automatically generated upon the filing of a Request for Judicial Intervention and a Request for a Preliminary Conference. Automatically generated Orders will be sent to the Queens County Clerk. The Preliminary Conference Orders will have an assigned date for a virtual Compliance Conference and information for those parties requesting Mediation.
2. Compliance Conference Orders will be automatically generated by the assigned Compliance Conference Part. This will come from one of the three CC Judges, (Catapano-Fox, McKetney-Butler, and Unger). The So-Ordered Compliance Conference Order will be forwarded to the County Clerk. A copy of the Order can be obtained via NYSCEF (if it is an efiled case) or from the County Clerk (if it is a non-e-filed case). No appearance is required. Where the Court directs, or if discovery is not complete or the parties require a judicial ruling on a discovery issue prior to the Certification Order date, a virtual conference with the Compliance Conference Part will be held via Microsoft Teams. The parties shall request a conference via email to the address provided in the generated Compliance Conference Order. E-mails forwarded to any email address other than the email address set forth in the Compliance Conference Order will not be processed. A So Ordered Stipulation will be generated at the conference resolving outstanding discovery and extending the Certification Order date if necessary. Parties should refer to Justice Catapano-Fox’s, Justice McKetney-Butler’s, and Justice Unger’s Part rules for further guidance.
Please note that Justice Unger is the only Judge holding a virtual calendar for Compliance Conferences assigned to her. Compliance & Settlement Conferences assigned to her are scheduled for 10:00 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and are handled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
3. The Queens practice of filing Notes of Issue with open discovery is over. Notes of Issue will be filed after a Certification Order has been issued by one of the Compliance Conference Judges.
4. Motions - E-filed motions are submission only. In-person appearances will be required on non-e-filed motions. Please check eCourts for the scheduled date and time the motion will be heard. Please check the assigned judges part rules regarding motion practice, as these are individual to each judge, and subject to change.
NOTE - NEW RULE FOR JUDGE LANCMAN, PART 20: EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 6, 2023: An in-person appearance for Part 20’s calendar call is mandatory for all discovery-related motions only. The calendar call shall take place every Wednesday at 9:30 A.M. in Courtroom 313. If the movant fails to appear, the motion will be marked off the calendar. The failure of opposing counsel to appear will result in the motion being marked fully submitted without opposition. The decision shall be rendered on default even if opposition papers are filed.
NOTE - NEW RULE FOR JUDGE DUFFICY, PART 35: EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 7, 2023, Part 35 will conduct IN-PERSON conferences on any discovery-related motions on the day the matter is calendared.
i.e., Motions to Vacate Note of Issue, Motions to Restore, Motions to Strike Pleadings, Motions to Demand Bill of Particulars, Motions to Preclude
5. Trial Scheduling Part – Pre-trial conferences are called in TSP (Room 25) in person. Calendar calls are at 9:30 am and 11 am. They are currently calling 50 cases per day. A limited number of cases are being sent tor trial in Jamaica and Long Island City. Cases in TSP that do not settle are being given firm trial dates.
Link to Supreme Queens Part Rules for each Judge.
For any questions about practice in Queens (Supreme, Civil, Housing or Surrogate's Court), please contact our office.